Monday, July 27, 2009

Kannathil Mutham Ittaal

Eyakathukku.. Mani Ratnam
Vasanuthukku..Sujatha
Padalkalukku..Vairamuthu
Isaikku.. A R Rahman

'Kannathil Mutham Ittaal' is one such movie where we witnessed this dream combo , not to forget the exemplary cast - Madhavan, Simran (at her ravishing best), Nandita Das, Pasupathi etc.

This post in definitely not meant to be a review of this 2002 movie, but has found its place in my blog 'coz of my awe inspired admiration for everything that was in the package called ‘Kannathil Mutham Ittaal’ – an excellent story line that brought out the plight of war hit, innocent Sri Lankan Tamils & Sinhalese in the most natural way; the amazing background scores and lyrics; the positioning of the songs at the right junctures; the dialogues etc. etc.

The lyrics of two particular songs have made me fall on my knees with intense love and admiration for the language called Tamizh (Tamil).

Scene 1:
Simran accepts Madhavan’s proposal to marry her. She has been waiting for this moment, waiting for him to propose to her for a year. The following on screen romance and their marriage is accompanied by a background score with one of the finest lyrics I have ever heard:

sattunu nanaindhadhu nenjam,
sarkarai aagudhu kanneer,
inbum inbum oru thunbam, oru thunbathil ethannai perinbam...

udalukkul malligai thooral,
en uyirukkul valliya thedal,
sukamaaai...
sukamai sukamai kollai yadi,
en uyirai mattum vittu vidu...

intha vaasal varai kaadhal nadanthu varum endru kaatru kidenthen,
athu vaanil paranthu vanthu koorai therandhu varum endru indru thelindhen..

thaavi vandhu ennai anaitha podhu endhan salli vergal arunthen,
saavin ellai varai sendru nindru indru rendu jenmam anaindhein..

thudikkum udhadu kondu thodaithidu vekkathai,
anaippu in adhikathaal veliyethu achchathai..
(These 6 lines are my favourite)

sukumai sukamai kollaiyadi,
en uyirai mattum vittu vidu...

sattunu nenaidhadhu nenjam

Scene 2:
The opening shot of the movie – the typical Mani Ratnam style opening with 10 minutes of movie and then the title with background score – another set of heart melting lyrics:

Vellai pookkal ulagam engum malargavey!
Vidiyum bhoomi amaithikkaga vidigavey!
Manmael manjal velichcham vizhugavey!
Malarey soambal muriththu ezhugavey!

Kuzhandhai vizhikkattumae, thaayin kadhakadhappil
Ulagam vidiyattumey, Pillayin siru mudhal sirippil...
(these 2 lines are definitely my favourite; so much meaning in the context of the movie)

Kaatrin paerisayum,
Mazhai paadum paadalgalum,
Oru mounam, poal inbam, tharumo? (wow)

Kodi keerthanamum
Kavi koartha vaarthaigalum,
Thuli kanneer, poal artham, tharumo? (wow)

Engu siru kuzhandhai,
Than kaigal neettidumo,
Angu thoandraayo, vellai, nilavey!

Engu manidha inam,
Poar oindhu saaindhidumo,
Angu koovaayo, vellai, kuyile!

It is for the first time in my life, I regret for not having taken Tamil (tamizh) as my higher language in school. Of course, I did learn Hindi and I’m able to manage it well, but it is always easier to appreciate the richness of mother tongue than any other language. English is the language I know the best, I do appreciate it, but still there hasn’t yet been a moment in my life, where I have come across a few lines of an English poem/ song that I would say has struck a chord with my soul.

I guess its time to get back and read some Tamil literature J

1 comment:

  1. amazing da macha !!!
    Tamizh is d best poetic language !!!!
    ofcourse i agree that mother tongue always has its own rhythm in our soul !!
    Thank god i took Tamizh as my 2nd Language !!!
    There is something special hidden in this language da !! i dunno hw to say or explain but nothing can match Tamizh rhythm dude !!!
    Vazhga Tamizh !!!

    ReplyDelete